Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

Today is January 1st and for many crazy canucks that means a polar bear swim...or dip if you're not quite as crazy. If you are unfamiliar with these terms it basically means taking a little swim outside (yes, that's right) in the middle of winter. It is an annual event in many places throughout BC and as I understand it, in Canada, although I cannot imagine anyone being quite crazy enough in the Prairie provinces, but I won't be surprised if I'm proven wrong. This crazy Canadian tradition is spreading. On the news tonight they highlighted a group of snowbirds that organized a polarbear dip in the Baja. Sorry guys, I really don't think that can count. It really can't be that much of a shock to the system to go for a little swim in Mexico in January.

If you would like to check out some photos...just to make sure I'm telling the truth (that is if you're not from Canada), check out the site for the Vancouver Park board. The Vancouver Polar Bear Swim Club is one of the oldest Polar Bear Clubs in the world with its initial swim having taken place in 1920. This annual swim which initially had about 10 swimmers has now grown to well over 2000 participants annually.



For those who are wondering, no, I did not participate in any Polar Bear Dip this year. But I won't rule it out for future years. As I see it, it's probably a quick recovery for the festivities on the 31st.

2 comments:

The Fool said...

Brrrrr! There are a few Polar Bear Clubs in Alaska. There is one at the very top of Alaska, in Barrow, which is about 350 miles north of the Arctic Circle. The village sits on the Arctic Sea. You'd have to drill a hole in the ice in order to do it at this time of year though. A dip at any time counts in Barrow. Just take the plunge. The water is always cold. Very cold. You're right...the Baja should not really count. I'll bet the water in Barrow is colder in August than it is in the Baja in January.

Carla said...

You are absolutely right, a dip in Barrow at any time of the year would have to count. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. Brrrr!