Monday, September 25, 2006

Book Meme

Cheryl tagged me with this book meme the other day and I'm only just getting around to responding.
1. One book that changed your life - hardest question first.
I’m figuring this would have to be something health related as there are many books that have inspired and encouraged me on my journey towards better health, improved nutrition and environmental activism. At this moment, I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one. Perhaps I’ll have to do a post on all my favorites at some point.
2. One book that you've read more than once.
Hmm…not something I usually do unless it’s related to health and then it’s usually just as a reference.
3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.

My first impulse would be to choose something long and entertaining such as Cheryl’s choice of the Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, but I think that ultimately a book on edible plants would be more practical.
4. One book that made you laugh.
Gilbert de la Frogponde: A Swamp Story by Jennifer Rae. It’s especially funny if read out loud with a French accent.
5. One book that made you cry.
The Good Women of China by Xinran Xue. This is one of those books you just can’t put down. It’s part memoir, part history, part tragedy and part social documentary. It’s an amazing read.

6. One book that you wish you had written.
I wish I’d written a ton of them…but one specifically? Perhaps the Life of Pi.
7. One book you wish had never been written.
This is a tough one. I don’t usually linger long reading books I wish had never been written. Perhaps I’ll come back to this one.
8. One book that you are reading at the moment.
Stiff – The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. As Entertainment Weekly’s review says, “One of the funniest and most unusual books of the year….Gross, educational, and unexpectedly sidesplitting.”
9. One book that you've been meaning to read.
The Kite Runner. I have it here, I just haven’t started it yet.

10. Tag five others that you'd like to do this meme.
Okay, I’m leaving this wide open. If you feel like responding, please do. I’d love to know what you’re reading.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh, Gilbert de la Frogponde - love that book!
Stiff sounds very interesting, I'll have to check it out.