Saturday, September 30, 2006

Antipasto

Today was the BIG day! The day I finally got around to making antipasto. Okay, this wasn't a venture I took on by myself. No, I know much better than that. My Mom and I decided that it was something we'd make together and then split the spoils. I'd tried making it on my own once before, but it's a huge amount of prep. If you're doing it on your own, I would estimate at least 4 hours of prep and then processing time (read pretty much the whole day).

The most important thing when making antipasto is the recipe. There is just way too much prep and expense in ingredients to waste on a bad recipe. Lucky for us, years ago my Mom was given this particular recipe from an Italian neighbour. The end result is as good as any you might find in a fancy gourmet food store.


Antipasto

3 jars (32 oz) dill pickles fine cut
4 lbs pickling onions
4 lbs cauliflower
4 tins mushrooms
2 lbs of green beans
3 lbs green peppers
4 lbs red peppers
7 - 16 oz tins ripe (black) olives
6 - 8 oz tins tuna
4 - 11 oz bottles ketchup
3 - 16 oz jars stuffed green olives
2 - 13 oz tins anchovies - optional (I personally have never added the anchovies)

Boil cauliflower 3 min. Drain, set aside. Peel pickling onions, cut dills fine. Boil green beans (cut fine) until tender. Set all aside. Fry sliced muchrooms in oil. Add ketchup and cut green and red peppers. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Add all vegies, olives and remaining ingredients. Break up tuna (drained) and add to everything. Put into mason jars (pressure to seal).

Makes about 30 pints. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ooooh, that looks good! We all absolutely love antipasto. My mom used to make it when I was a kid; your recipe sounds very similar.
Yum!

Carla said...

My Mom used to make it too and then hadn't in years. But recently we bought some at a farmer's market and couldn't believe how much it costs now (although I understand because of how much work it is to make). But it simply reminded us what a nice treat it is to have around.

danicazeke said...

I live in Ann Arbor Mi, now and used to live in Victoria, my mom is from Nelson, anyway, I always bring back antipasto as it isn't readily available here and my mom and always brings me some when she visits. I'm dying to make my own, I can alot. I keep hearing all this stuff about not being able to can it for fear of botchilsm so I was wondering how to you process yours, hot water bath, pressure cooker and if so for how long.

danicazeke said...

I'm dying to make this, however I've heard so much about if being unsafe to can because of the low acid. Do you pressure cook it and if so for how long? I'm in Ann Arbor Michigan, used to live in Victoria and my mom is from Nelson. I bring jars back from home and people here go crazy so I want to make my own. Thanks
Danica

Carla said...

Hi Danica, Thanks for stopping by. I have never ever had any difficulty with botulism or my canning not sealing. I use a pressure cooker (I have a big one that fits 7 quart jars, although I do the antipasto in smaller jars). I process antipasto for a much longer time than I would fruit as it doesn't have the same acidity and there is also tuna in it. I would say minimum 30-40 minutes (with pressure for at least part of that time). If you are using a hot water bath, I imagine it would be much longer. Anyways, I can a absolute ton and have never had any problem, just make sure the jars are well sterilized before putting the food into them and then pressure cook if possible. I wish you luck. Let me know how it turns out.