Sunday, September 13, 2009

Summer Harvests

Most of you know that I get busy with things like canning this time of year. I really prefer eating foods that are regional, fresh, and in season. Nothing can beat the intense flavours of vine ripened vegetables or fruits. Summers are plentiful, but, of course, living in a northern climate, there's not much that's regional and fresh in the winter. Essentially, canning or freeing is the only way to capture those fresh flavours and save them for grey, dreary, dark days.

This year, like most, I canned a whole slew of tomatoes, essentially because they are so versatile and go in so many dishes. Some years I think I will eat less tomatoes...they are, after all, from the nightshade family, however, I haven't yet gotten to the point where I feel the necessity to eliminate them.

I also did up apple sauce. We have bumper crops of apples this year the likes of which haven't been seen in years. Old trees in the mountains, which haven't produced much in years, have boughs bending to the point of breaking they are so heavily laden with fruit. Apples are definitely on the menu this fall and some sauce for the winter.

I don't always, but this year I also did up a couple batches of tomato sauce. It's nice to have sauce already prepared and to be able to simply open a jar. I did one batch with a recipe from the Re-Bar cookbook and then made up a batch of my own making. Mine was heavy on the basil, with not quite as much garlic as the first batch.

I still have some more canning / food prep to do if I can find the time, but I essentially feel okay about the colder weather settling in.

14 comments:

we're doomed said...

What is there not to love about a woman who knows how to can.

Rowena said...

An abundant tomato season simply did not happen for me this year, so I am already looking forward to the possibilities of next spring. Your efforts are looking gorgeous as ever!

Jannie Funster said...

And how 'bout your spaghetti crop? Have lots on your trees this year? :)

I'm not sure if you like pickled beets? I do, my husband does not. He SO does not. Wish I'd thought to bring some of Mom's back here with me. None finer in the cosmos.

Tomatoes, night shade, really? Like, poisonous and such?

Ed & Jeanne said...

I can too...there are entire aisles of them at my store! ;)

Isle Dance said...

Oh yum, yum, yum.

Pamela said...

I've lost my canning desire.
And they are so pretty all lined up gleaming on the counter.

Of course my tomato plants were mismarked and all I got were cherry.

I was so disappointed.

Steffi said...

Great work ,Carla and good harvest!Yummy!

pandave said...

Reading your words and looking at your photos gives me a little hope about making it through the cold months. You find a way to make me feel a little warm inside. Thanks!

Carla said...

We're Doomed, If she can can, she can do anything.

Rowena, Sorry to hear about the lack of tomatoes. Despite it not being a very hot summer, we got a decent crop. But I also always supplement with tomatoes from the Okanagan...our local farming hot house that's not too far away.

Carla said...

Jannie, lol, We'll be having lot's of spaghetti this winter. Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous because they belong to the night shade family...even now, it's recommended that if you have arthritis, to limit your intake.

Carla said...

VE, And you probably do the cancan. Am I right?

Ilse Dance, nothing like being ready for winter.

Carla said...

Pamela, I love cherry tomatoes, but of course if you're hoping for a big crop, they just won't do.

Steffi, Thanks. Yes, it will get me through the winter.

Carla said...

Pandave, You're most welcome. I hope that we have a mild winter this year and that you're able to keep toasty.

jillie said...

I remember my mom and grandmother doing a lot of canning. Speaking of which, I have some baking to do before my fruit goes bad!!!