1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 large egg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cups frozen blackberries (or other frozen fruit)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and lemon zest in a medium sized bowl.
- Measure (into 4 cup liquid measure) buttermilk, lemon juice, egg, vanilla. Beat gently until smooth.
- Slowly pour this mixture along with the melted butter into the dry ingredients. Stir using a rubber spatula until dry ingredients are moistened. Carefully fold in blackberries. Don't over mix.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick insered into the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and place on a rack to cool.