Monday, November 17, 2008

Sacred Waters

A certain magic always hung in the air as we drove past the spotted lake in the South Okanagan. We would hang from the windows of the car with our eyes glued to the side of the road looking beyond, just a ways down the hillside…watching … watching for that magical lake with spots…the Spotted Lake. And the first to see it would cry out, “There it is! The Spotted Lake!” It held us captivated as I’m sure it has many others throughout the years.

The native people in these parts consider the lake sacred and the therapeutic quality of the waters have apparently been known throughout time as far back as their history goes. In fact legend tells that warring tribes once declared a truce in the middle of a battle so that both sides could tend to their wounded in the lake. Throughout history, tribes from all around came for the “medicine” the lake contains. Stories told by these peoples’ ancestors tell of the cures the lake has provided, both physically and spiritually through its medicine powers.

“Its medicinal powers are not to be taken lightly. This Lake is a Chief among lakes, its powers are above the purely physical. It contains 365 circles in various shapes, sizes and depths. Each particular day of the year, anyone who goes to this lake will find the right circle if he seeks.”

I have never confirmed the statement regarding the circles, however, I can say that the lake has drawn me. I feel its pull, the magnetism of its call. Even now, many years later, whenever I drive by, I cannot pass without looking.

26 comments:

Becks said...

Is that the one by Oosoyoos?

We used to always look forward to passing it too.

I think the circles have to do with the alkalinity of the water.

we're doomed said...

Do you know what causes the spots?

Carla said...

Becks, Yes, that's right outside of Oosoyoos. I'm not sure about the alkalinity, but the white is actually salt.

We're doomed, There's a very high concentration of magnesium salts in this lake. In fact, I believe it's been reported to have the highest levels of any lake in the world...which would explain the healing part. Magnesium is a very strong pain reliever.

Fida said...

I will watch out next time I travel to Oosoyoos. So glad you told that story!

Carla said...

Fida, The surrounding area on that little stretch doesn't look like much, but that little lake is definitely a draw.

Anonymous said...

That's interesting and uniquely gorgeous at the same time. Thanks for sharing the legend...maybe one day I'll make it out there!

The Fool said...

Nice, Nomad. It's a curious phenomena, and a fine reminiscence for one to have. I love the story about the circles, too - whether true or not doesn't matter. The story makes it true. Thanks for sharing.

BurdockBoy said...

That is really cool. At first glance I just figured it was a unique way the ice froze (I saw some strange designs on the Frozen lakes of Wisconsin and Minnesota). But salts, huh. Thanks.

Carla said...

Rowena, If you do, you must let me know. I'd be happy to show you around...or at least give you some good local tips.

Fool, I too am totally enamored by the circle story. Here is to each and every one of us finding our own perfect circle. The magic is in the thought.

Carla said...

Burdock Boy, Yep, that's one salty lake. It's probably the Canadian equivalent of the dead sea and obviously in true Canadian style we've done a good job of keeping this place a secret and free of droves of tourists.

Mark said...

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Carla said...

Mark, You're most welcome. There are many little treasures in this area.

carmilevy said...

Even in this photo, I can easily see why it so captivates. Nature really is a spectacular guide - and thankfully you've always had the wherewithal to look, and to share.

TK Kerouac said...

Mystical!

Jannie Funster said...

My goodness, those circles are cool.

So many amazing places in the world!!

Carla said...

Carmi, Thanks for the compliment. And yes, nature really can be spectacular.

Tracey, Nice to see you around.

Carla said...

Jannie, Yep, so many places and not enough time. This could be a full time job you know.

Steffi said...

That´s a really interesting post,Carla!Mystical!

Pamela said...

I'm totally intrigued!

Carla said...

Steffi, Glad you find it so. Perhaps one day you will come to visit?

Pamela, This one seems to intrigue us all. It's just that kind of place / thing.

M. Domínguez Senra said...

Water is sacred allways, but Spotted Water seems even magic.

Carla said...

Aaoiue, I think you're right. I've always had a bit of an obsession with water...oceans, waves...there's an allure.

pandave said...

That is rather incredible. And the fact that it is not overrun by tourists makes it all the more special. It's like a dalmation lake.
with healing powers.

Carla said...

Pandave, Dalmatian lake, I hadn't thought of that. You always have such a neat way of looking at things.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting history. We went to Oosoyoos over a year ago and we didn't know about it but then I think we didn't go on that road so missed it. If we got through that way another time, we will watch for it.

Carla said...

Dawn, It is an interesting lake. I think I always look because I remember it from my childhood.