Monday, September 17, 2007

Okanagan Grape Muffins

Lots going on with many pictures and stories to share, but sometimes life just doesn't give you much time to breathe. So I thought that in the meantime I'd quickly share this muffin recipe which uses Coronation grapes. Coronation grapes are a seedless, sweet indigo-blue grape with crisp juicy flesh and an intense tart taste. This particular variety was developed right here in BC at the Summerland Agri-Food Research Centre using natural traditional methods. They are basically a seedless (or semi-seedless variety of the Concord). For those of you who haven't been lucky enough to have been exposed to Coronation or Concorde grapes, they are the tastiest grape I think I have ever had the pleasure of eating. They come around but once a year and are only available for a few short weeks in the fall. They are expensive, but in my opinion, well worth the splurge. I imagine you could use any seedless grape variety in these muffins or simply substitute any berry of your choice.

Okanagan Grape Muffins

2 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar (I only use about 3/4 C)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 C buttermilk
2 medium eggs (well beaten)
1/2 C melted butter
1 1/2 C Coronation grapes

Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line muffin tins with paper cups. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Stir until ingredients are just combined. Lightly fold in grapes. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown on tip. Cool in pan. Makes 12 muffins. Enjoy!

22 comments:

Steffi said...

Your Okanagan Grape Muffins looks sooooo delicious!Yummy! You makes me hungry ;O)! Thank you for your recipe,Carla.I will try it out.

Have a nice day!

Fuser said...

I see that you are up and cooking. I am up and studying...just trying to be funny...
Thanks for the word splurge. You never finish to learn...
Good night and good luck.

Carla said...

Steffi, I hope you enjoy them. Let me know.

Fede, The moment one quits learning is the same moment he begins dying...for what else is left?

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look awesome. We went on a bit of a tour at the Research Centre years ago. Being a food scientist is was just my thing. I have had the pleasure of eating Coronation grapes as well. I have never thought of putting grapes in muffins before, but that is probably because we don't grow them here.

Carla said...

Hi Dawn, Years ago, I would have never thought of cooking with grapes. But I met some farmers who grew Coronations and they told me to use them any way I would a blueberry...even in pies. Cooking only seems to intensify the flavour.

Fuser said...

Hi Carla, I might be wrong, but I had a FedEx post-it stuck on my door. They say I have to go pick up a box from Canada.
Have you shipped some of those muffins by any chance?
Good night and good luck.

Pamela said...

It kind of startled me ... but it shouldn't because we use raisins in muffins...so why not grapes

Anonymous said...

Avast there matey...we be boardin' yer ship to take all the muffins, grapes and all. Save the grapes, yer scally wags for the wine, I mean rum. We be a friendy bunch 'o pirates.

Annie Wicking said...

Wow I could do with one of them now... Only it might spoil my tea. Mmm I may pop back later for one. Please don't eat them all before I get back now....;-)

best wishes

Annie

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

That looks yummy~ I'll take mine with a cup of coffee.

Carla said...

Fede, Muffins shipped complete with a jar of apricot jam. That was also in the request, was it not?

Pamela, I understand. It took me a bit to get used to the idea as well. But if you use the right kind of grape, it's really very delicious.

Carla said...

Annie, I'm saving a couple especially for you. They go very well with tea, you know.

Sandi, Would you like the coffee black, or sweet and blonde?

thailandchani said...

The muffins look absolutely delicious! Probably not on my Weight Watchers plan.. but it will probably find its way to an oven near me this winter. :)


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of grape muffins before. They look delicious.

Fuser said...

It was indeed, except that there was no jam in the box... still I recall that ten years ago you weren't so forgetful...
;-)
Good night and good luck.

Carla said...

Chani, Boy, am I slow responding to this post. My apologies. You can certainly cut down the amount of sugar in the recipe if that's a concern. I do it all the time.

Debbie, I was surprised the first time I came across the recipe as well. But these grapes really are good cooked. And you'd be surprised how many times I've served them and people can't quite guess what the fruit is because it's so unexpected.

Carla said...

Fede, I'm simply aging like a good wine.

Anonymous said...

I just pulled out a pan of grape muffins from my oven, using your recipe. I substituted muscat for coronation grapes. And they came out great. Thanks

Carla said...

Glad you enjoyed the recipe. This was the first time I ever used grapes in cooking, rather than eating them raw, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Loved these! I am putting a modified recipe on my blog and I linked to your blog and recipe. Thanks!

Carla said...

Lisa, I'm glad the recipe worked out well for you. Thanks for the link.

Tamitik said...

I make them every year when I get the grapes in the fall. In fact I just got a large bunch tonight so will make them tomorrow. I made the Baked Coronation Grape Pancake tonight. They are a fragile grape with a distinct taste. Yummy. :-)