Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Autumn's Finale

We have seemingly overnight gone directly from autumn into winter. I didn't dare check the temperature today, but I can tell you that it was chilly. The chill came as a shock to the trees in my yard as well as by this morning they had shed most of their leaves and left a lovely blanket of colour on my lawn. And all the things that I was hoping to accomplish outside before winter began! It looks like I'll now be raking instead.

Despite their beauty, I can't help but think how sorrowful the leaves look with the droplets of water. Perhaps it's just me suffering from melancholy at the realization that this will soon all be over and winter will be here.

This tree (sadly) is not in my yard, but I felt that I had to include it. It just seems so majestic and grand at this time of year.

On a more upbeat note, in honour of halloween, if any of you would like to see pictures of some creatively carved pumpkins, check out Scott Cummins' work at pumpkingutter.com

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Isn't it sad to see all of the trees suddenly bare? It's definitely feeling a lot more like winter.

Carla said...

In the Kootenay's, we've been spoiled with such a fabulous fall that this sudden change has come as a bit of a shock. It is most definitely feeling like winter now. I can almost feel the snow coming.